Madagascar is one of the four largest islands of the world with a wealth of exceptional ecological qualified. Madagascar National Parks is responsible for the management of National Parks. 2007 was a good year since 6 Parks were admitted to Unesco World Heritage under the umbrella of "Rainforests of the Atsinanana." It is Marojejy, Masoala, Zahamena, Ranomafana, Andringitra and Andohahela. They join in this distinction the Tsingy de Bemaraha already sacred in 1990.
(60 km from Fort Dauphin)
Andohahela, in the region of Fort Dauphin, is a National Park of the utmost importance, which led to his being honored with the Silver Otter Award at World Travel Market London 99. Its uniqueness lies in its extraordinary variety of ecosystems due to its proximity to the mountains of Anosy. Rainforest and wet eastern transforms into a dry forest to the west and south with, in between, an intermediate zone little rainy, but benefiting from numerous rivers from the mountains. Over 90% of plants are used in Andohahela traditional medicine, such as Jabihy serving both the rapid restoration of young mothers at the embalming of corpses! Palm triangle "Dypsis decaryi" is not anywhere else. Types of iguanas that we encounter here in America and attest to the drift of continents, while lemurs there exist 13 different species including "sifaka" well known for his jumps. The geology of the southern tip of Anosy is very special, including metamorphic rocks, and the magic of shapes and colors designed by erosion.
(20 km east of Lake Alaotra)
In the eastern part of the region of Alaotra Zahamena forest covers a total area of 24,398 ha. This is an evergreen rainforest pluristratified rich in orchids, whose emergent species can exceed 30 m in height. The majority of tracks within the site and follow the ridge connecting peak to another. Zahamena has more than 700 plant species endemic to the rate of 90%. The rich fauna is equally remarkable 62 species of amphibians, 48 reptiles, 6 and 4 diurnal lemurs lemurs, 109 species of birds, 67 are endemic to Madagascar. With the support of Madagascar National Parks people are working hard to improve access roads.
(60 km Sambava)
Located in northeastern Madagascar, Marojejy was discovered in 1948 by Professor Humbert the Museum of Natural History in Paris who described him as "the most prestigious mass of the island." Covering an area of over 60,000 ha, the mountain is covered with a Marojejy plant formation from low forest
altitude with many epiphytic plants (120 species of orchids) to mountain rainforests, with a large palm peculiarity which made him famous. 5 types of forests are superimposed in an intact ecosystem for millennia. Its highest point, at 2,132 m, is a superb viewpoint over all the "Green Triangle" of the Sava. Side wildlife Marojejy has 107 species of birds that he has chosen as its emblem, the Euriciferos Prevost beautiful with its long beak and blue plumage red and black, 60 species of amphibians whose tiny Mantella , 9 species of lemurs including the Silky Sifaka to Tiara found elsewhere.
The excitement and wonder are guaranteed to climb this mountain between Sambava Andapa, whose peak is often lost in the clouds.
• Circuit Mantella (2 days): 4 hours walk to Camp. Amphibians reptiles, lemurs and bamboo lemurs fulvus, bird. Lower primary forest mountain.
• Circuit Simpona (3 days): A continuation of the first, along a ridge in a forest at medium altitude. First night at Camp Mantella, and walk to Camp 1 hour 30 Marojejia. Ridge to habitat Simpona.
• Circuit Marojejy Summit (3-5 days): A beautiful adventure sports sometimes through the clouds! Sifaka camp at 1:30 the previous run. Ascent punctuated by numerous lookouts. Impression of solitude in the wilderness.
(On the North East coast between Tamatave and SAVA)
About thirty kilometers in Maroantsetra Antongil Bay, the Masoala National Park extends from the ocean to 1311 m altitude on 230,000 ha of primary forest. Of the 10 species of lemurs that were identified stands out especially the Vari flamboyant red peel. The rich fauna of Masoala account of rare or unique species like the green lizard, owl red tomato frog or the serpent eagle. Its three marine parks (Tampolo west, Ambodilaitry the south and east Ifaho) are favored sites for kayaking or snorkeling. A simple mask there is enough to enjoy a marine flora and fauna rich colors. From July to September, Antongil Bay is a privileged place friendly humpback whales in Antarctica. A replica greenhouse with plant and animal elements rigorously authentic Masoala is today one of the main attractions of the zoo of Zurich.
(A Ambalavao 46 km, south of Fianarantsoa)
The park is hung Andringitra Massif at an altitude ranging from 650 to 2658 m. Andringitra is a Mecca biological Madagascar, one of these natural laboratories where old relics and species-species coexist latest giving fauna or flora originality. It is in the Andringitra lies the largest concentration of known species of lemurs with no less than 9 on the east side and 5 on the west side. Carnivores are represented by 5 species whose Fosa its paces with Puma miniature birds and 99 without the list is closed. On the west side of the Park, Tsaranoro cliff climbing spot is recognized worldwide. Finally geography does not exclude humor: Boby peak, second peak of Madagascar (2658 m) was named after the dog of the expedition that made the first exploration ... The park is formed rocky mountains of granite and gneiss, with numerous peaks culminating at more than 2500 m which extend between mountain meadows.
• Circuit Asaramanitra: Loop 6 km, 4 hours of walking, access means. Cascade sacred cave.
• Circuit Diavolana: Loop 13 km, 10 hours running, abrupt climate changes. Leads to a lunar landscape.
• Circuit Imaitso: Loop 14 km, 8 hours walking, wet and cool weather. Lemurs and rare birds.
• Circuits Isahavato: 15 km, 12 hours walking, warm climate. Rare palm trees, natural swimming pool.
• Circuits Imarivolanitra: 28 km, leads to the summit of Pic Boby by very steep slopes.
(70 km to the east of Fianarantsoa)
Ranomafana name has long been associated with hydrotherapy which is the second site of the island. Today it evokes more the treasures of the eastern forest and Ecotourism. Since June 2007, Ranomafana and five other parks of the east coast were collectively recognized as World Heritage by UNESCO. Accessible from Ambohimahasoa on the N7 and an area of 41,600 ha, the Ranomafana National Park is one of the best equipped to explore the biodiversity of the rainforest in the east. Nestled in a mountainous area very wet which earned him the nickname "Land of Mists" second site spa on the island, he alternates verdant cliffs and rivers dotted with waterfalls. It is home to 12 species of lemurs which we know perfectly territories (Sifaka black tiara Hapalemur Aureus, Simus bamboo lemur, Microcebus Rufus or the smallest lemurs which occurs at the site of the evening ... Talatakely). Ranomafana is a mecca for birdwatching, has 114 species of birds of Madagascar, watch and listen especially in September-October. Chameleons are here the most colorful and attractive. Tree species have many valuable species or medicinal use. In the undergrowth, pandanus, ferns, orchids, lianas and strangler figs accentuate the tropical forest. The routes are based on the observation of flora and fauna especially rich with opportunities nocturnal visits, as well as the discovery of cultural and historical sites.
• Circuit Varibolo:
- Edena complex, 2 to 4 hours on foot to all visitors.
- Complex Varibolomena, 3-5 hours walking, youth and sports.
• Circuit Varijatsy:
- Complex Vatoharanana, 6:00 walk for a roundtrip a day or more if camp (June to November)
- Complex Vohibato, adventure 2 hours for youth sports (June to November).
• Circuit Sahamalaotra:
- 2 hour walk for everyone.
• Circuit Vohiparara:
- Complex Kidonavo, 3-5 hours on foot.
- Complex Andranofady, 4-8 hours on foot.
- Complex Andranonaito 2 to 3 hours on foot from Vohiparara
• Circuit Soarano:
- Ranomena Complex, Golf 1 to 2 days off for young athletes.
- Complex Vohimeva, circuit discovery for two hours at night.
Note: Soarano and Varijatsy circuits are particularly suited to Trekking and
Hiking. They are modular adventure tours according to the needs of the hiker.
(130 km east of Antananarivo, Toamasina on the road)
At about 138 km east of Antananarivo RN2, the Andasibe National Park is the most popular of Protected Areas. It is actually composed of two parts: the Mantadia Park and Reserve of Indri Analamazaotra on an area of 16,000 ha. Treasure fauna, Andasibe houses 11 species of lemurs, the largest Indri Indri, recognizable by his cries impressive. It is only visible in its natural environment as not supporting captivity. We also find many species of birds, reptiles, insects and amphibians.
Flora on the other hand is characterized by lush rainforest, and many species of ferns, epiphytes, lianas sacred orchids and dwarf palms. The park has an Interpretation Centre, as well as landscaped areas with picnic sites or campsites. The top most visited place of ecotourism includes Analamazaotra Special Reserve (810 ha) and the Mantadia National Park (15,000 ha).
• Circuits Indri: Indri I 2 km (less than 2 hours) - Indri II 3.5 kilometers (less than 4 hours)
• Scenic drive: Goes to the Park orchids. Tree species labeled for identification. Orchids in bloom in October-November.
• Circuits and Sacred Falls Rianasoa: Directions marked and secured in a lush forest
• Circuit Tsakoka: At the end of the public area of the park.
(100 km from Diego Suarez)
Born under the sea millions of years ago, which Ankarana 18,000 ha were converted into park extends its network of caves, underground rivers and canyons in the middle of dry and green forests. Surface erosion has engraved "Tsingy" sharp ridges of limestone, while in deep water network winds longest in Africa (110 km). The spéologues have listed here some 11 main caves are sacred as containing royal tombs. In the galleries have developed stalactites, stalagmites, draperies and other hélectites calcite whose folds fall like those of a fabric. Someone in Ankarana 11 species of lemurs, 92 species of birds including the rare Various Messire, 60 species of reptiles and amphibians, and more than half of bats on the island. Tourists are willingly accepted the ceremonies held there regularly. It combines the massive wealth of a mineral limestone world to the variety of its ecosystems, and the role of cultural forefront.
• Small Circuits:
• Loss Circuit River. In the rainy season, a river is swallowed up in an adventure.
• Caves Milaintety, a haven of freshness.
• Perspective Ambohimalaza at the top of a volcano.
• Large Circuits:
• Bat Cave and Petit Tsingy. Caves leads to the top of the mountain.
• Green Lake and Grand Tsingy. Inevitable attraction leading to the top of the limestone formations blades. Andrafiabe caves cathedrals in the heart of the geological and cultural history of Ankarana.
(114 km to the east of Mahajanga)
"Kingdom of birds, land of lakes sacred source of life," Ankarafantsika is located in northwestern Madagascar 450 km from Antananarivo and 114 km from the N4 Majunga. The story goes that there highwayman once sowed terror. He bequeathed his name to a lake Ravelobe Park famous for its crocodiles ... The vegetation is characterized by including a mixture of dry deciduous forests, rain forests, swamps and savannas raffia, and many aquatic habitats. 92.3% of tree species and 84.4% of herbaceous species are endemic. Birds counted 126 species, some of which, like the Vaga Van dam or Mesite white move ornithologists worldwide. In the adjoining forest station amounted to Ampijoroa three endemic species of turtles: the ploughshare tortoise Angonoka, the flat-tailed tortoise Kapidolo, and the vast freshwater turtle Rere. The park constantly research institutions. This is the team from the University of Hanover that we owe the discovery in 1997 of Microcebus ravelobensis.
(150 km south-west of Majunga)
150 km southwest of Majunga, Baly Bay is still little known to tourists but will not stay long! Few rich sites such diversity with dense forest, dry thicket vegetation of shaggy, green carpet of mangroves in the sea ... Then there are beaches around the world, beautiful lakes and especially coral reefs offering their funds to diving enthusiasts. Here live turtle spur is the rarest species of Madagascar and endemic birds such as the osprey, the sacred ibis, heron or Hubert. The bay is a little "heart" of the park is also very popular with flamingos and dolphins. Ancestor worship is very much alive in the region with the ceremonies as "Fanompoana" (annual) during which offerings are placed on the royal tombs, or "Fitampoha" (every 5 or 7 years) characterized by immersing relics in large rivers.
(180 km north-west of Morondava)
Classified World Heritage by UNESCO in 1990, Bemaraha which occupies part of the limestone plateau of the same name became a National Park in August 1997. Tsingy offer one of its most spectacular landscapes of Madagascar with their network of faults, cracks, limestone blocks carved blades or sharp needles. There are millions of years these areas were buried under the sea corals and shells were stacked and welded to form a huge plate of up to 200 m thick. The waters were gradually withdrawn, leaving the open limestone which is cracked to form joints and canyons. The rain then began his long work of erosion both surface and depth. On the "roof" of Tsingy temperature can reach 50 ° so that the bottom of the canyons we feel the stress of vegetation tend to get light for photosynthesis vital.
Some speak of forests, other cathedrals of limestone. The park offers tours of different levels of difficulty and requiring the presence of a guide.
• Tantely Circuit: Circuit-test (dizziness, ease ...) before tackling the more demanding routes.
• Circuits Andadoany Ankeligoa and: Respectively 2 and 6 km, made in 4 and 5 h. Mazes, cathedrals, for sets of Tsingy.
• Circuit Manambolo: Usually in 4 h, 1 h and 3 canoe walking. Steep gorges more
100 m in height.
• Circuit Anjohimahitsy: From level difficult, takes place either in 1 or 2 days. Includes previous circuits.
• Circuit Andamozavaky: 5 km in 6 h, rated difficult. 360 ° panoramic view, emptiness on a suspension bridge, down the bottom of a canyon.
• Circuit Berano: 3 km to the north entrance, dominated Speleological. In addition, there Circuits Sites of Biological and Ecological Interest (SIBE) outside the Park. Village tourism, hospitality and tradition.
CAP SAINTE MARIE
(In the extreme south of Madagascar between Tulear and Fort Dauphin)
Beautiful beaches, high sandstone cliffs and caves offer a dream landscape in the southern tip of Madagascar. Between the waters of the Mozambique Channel and those of the Indian Ocean, Cap Sainte Marie is windswept and offers the look of "end of the world." From July to November it is possible to observe the migration of humpback whales and their calves. There are also the remains of Aepyornis eggs, the largest known bird that some associate with the bird-rock legends of Sinbad the Sailor. Their collection is prohibited in order to preserve these priceless relics. Accessible all year, but best visited during the cooler months.
(300 km and 240 km from Fianarantsoa to Tulear)
Created in 1962 and principal natural curiosity of the southern route, the Isalo National Park is chronologically the second of Madagascar and covers an area of 81,000 ha.
Erosion has carved in sandstone by fantastic shapes ranging from steep hands reaching towards the sky with boulders seemingly balanced precariously on their base. The imagination of man recognizes a lion watching over territory, a boot, a crocodile about to snatch its prey, or especially
an authentic queen who lack neither crown nor the mantle. Its seeming drought Isalo has an important hydrographic network consists of streams feeding the tributaries of Mangoky. Sacred ground, it also houses the graves of ancestors Bara dug the cliffs to deter looters. One of the best introductions to the Park through the House of Isalo, an Interpretation Centre 9 km from the village of Ranohira.
Isalo provides sequences of canyons, sandstone peaks ranging from red to pink, masses of granite carved ... Elsewhere, trays dug craters in the realm of silence ...
• La Piscine Naturelle Circuit popular with walkers easy. An oasis fed by a waterfall of fresh water.
• Namaza: deep gorges Pool Blue or Black Pool, cascading sides to climb with their colonies of rare birds ...
• Canyons Rats: Circuit sporting very last stronghold of King Barabe Ramieba.
• Cave and Portuguese Sahanafa: Crossing rivers, steep slopes, addresses not hurry good hikers and
have a good physical condition.
• Malaso: Circuit with easy slopes and trails. Runs the entire southern part of the park, the Botanical Garden, the unusual shapes sculpted by the wind. An operator proposes a formula equestrian route.
(50 km south of Morondava)
In the region of Belo sur Mer in the south of Morondava, Kirindy Mitea National Park is located in a transition zone between the dry tropical climate and the sub-arid south. Its fauna is characterized by an abundance of wild boar, guinea fowl, lemurs and birds. Flora side we note especially two species of baobab, tamarind, palm trees and various species adapting to drought.
If the track from Morondava is only passable June to December, access by sea is possible throughout the year. Visitors can camp in the village of Manahy, or return to Belo sur Mer
(6 miles east of Hellville on the island of Nosy Be)
The reserve is nestled at the edge of the Indian Ocean, in the southern part of Nosy Be. It calls for an enchanting walk by the beach that starts and goes into the last natural forest of the island. Species such as Potameia up to 40 m in height there alongside the famous Ravinala or traveler's tree. The reserve is home to lemurs as Eulemur macaco and Lepilemur dorsalis, chameleons, lizards, and a rich variety of birds. A best visited between May and November.
Where ... the forest meets the sea, a hymn to nature!
Nosy Mangabe, 5 km south of Maroantsetra, is the largest island in the Bay Antongil. It houses five species of lemurs including the Aye-Aye lemur fawn, Vari lemur, lemur and red. There are also 15 species of birds and herpetofauna abundance. With its 520 hectares of forest, Nosy Mangabe is an ideal place for nature hikes. She was one of the first places of settlement of Madagascar.
Period of several paths:
• Maroantsetra - Ambanizana: 1 hour by boat
• Maroantsetra - Masoala: 3 hours by boat
• Maroantsetra - Antalaviana: 2 hours by boat
• Maroantsetra - Antalaha: 3-5 days on foot
• Maroantsetra - Eastern Cape: 4-7 days on foot
• Antalaha - Eastern Cape: 3 hours by car.
(40 km southwest of Diego Suarez)
Amber Mountain rises to 1475 m and has a significant rainfall. Its microclimate encouraged the development of exceptional biodiversity everywhere in this lush vegetation extending over 18,000 ha. She alternates fascinating sites with its waterfalls and crater lakes. With 75 species of birds, 49 species of reptiles, mammals its unique wildlife of the National Park of the Montagne d'Ambre is typical of humid forests of Madagascar. With curiosity and attention you will discover the smallest primates, and the smallest chameleon in the world! Here also intersect the world of the living and the ancestors. The route to the Sacred Waterfall is dotted indices ceremonies: horns, coins, seeds of white rice and bottles of honey.
The offer ecotourism Amber Mountain ranges from simple observation sites to the most demanding hiking. The choice is vast and the assistance of a guide indispensable.
• Short circuit (2 h): Station Dogfish - Sacred Waterfall - Path of a Thousand Trees - Cascade Antakarana.
• circuit means (3h 30): Station Dogfish - Sacred Waterfall - Path of a Thousand Trees - Cascade Antomboka or Small Lake.
• Circuit long (5 h): Station Dogfish - Sacred Waterfall - Waterfall Antakarana - Track Thousand Trees - Cascade Antomboka.
• Trekking long course (14 h): Cursed Lake - Grand Lake - Summit Amber.
• For hikers, the multi-day tours to the most distant peaks.
(40 km south of Anakao)
A 275 km from Tulear and extending over more than 43,000 ha National Park was Tsimanampesotse Ramsar site in 1998. The lake water turning from green to turquoise blue topaz appears like an oasis in this area known driest Madagascar. Vegetation with strange shapes reflects this ongoing fight against drought, and transports the visitor into an unreal world. Birds are the main attraction of the park including the largest gatherings of flamingos, flamingos and grebes in the dry season. Several species of lemurs are easy to find, Lemur Catta with. The observer night will also explore the Galidietis Grandidieri, a small carnivore specific to this park. But the name is especially Tsimanampesotse inseparable Typhleotis blind fish that live in caves. This National Park was opened to tourism in June 2001. 4 circuits were designed by Madagascar National Parks to showcase the wealth of an exceptional site, whose name means "the lake without dolphins."
• Circuit Andaka:
Particularly devoted to ornithology.
• Circuit Tsimaso:
Based caves and sinkholes housing the blind fish Typhleotis Madagascariensis.
• Circuit Andalamaike:
Showing the different forms of adaptation of plants to the harsh climate and soil.
• Circuit equest:
Special lemurs and lake scenery.
(15 km from Sakaraha between Tulear and Ranohira)
Since 1997, the National Park encompasses three disjoint forest plots, representing a significant portion of the remains of the dry forest of the west. Side fauna, which include lemurs Verreaux's Sifaka, and birds whose Bulbul Appert. The region is mainly inhabited by pastoralists Bara who consider the forest as an interface between the human world and the spirit.
• Circuit Tavira and Tavira Ritikala Velomihanto birds, orchids, forests.
• Circuit Besakoa - Bekily - Maromiandry - Ranotsara: an average of 6 days on foot or by bike. Immersion in the daily activities of the villagers, observing lemurs, panoramic views of the canyons and stands of palm trees.